Our Vision: Recognising the relationship of a city to its environs, the people of Ōtautahi/Christchurch, in Aotearoa/New Zealand, practise, live and demonstrate sustainability in all that they do.
SOC’s registered charitable aim, which recognises Te Tiriti o Waitangi/The Treaty of Waitangi as a foundation, is to actively contribute within Ōtautahi-Christchurch to opportunities and means for achievement of long term sustainability. In trying to make a difference, and head that direction, SOC members seek to:
- ensure that all people have their basic needs satisfied,
- so that they can live in dignity, in healthy communities,
- while having the minimum adverse impact on natural systems,
- both now and in the future.
- To facilitate and promote education about the ethics and practice of sustainability in the community.
- To encourage education about sustainability by the promotion of innovative planning and design of urban developments and projects.
- To promote, conduct and publish research as part of a programme to educate about a whole systems approach to sustainability.
- To carry out any other charitable activities which are considered practicable and desirable in reaching the vision, aims and objects.