The popular regional awards are open for nominations until Friday 16 September 2011. This is a joint Nelson City and Tasman District Council initiative.
This year there are eight categories including a revamped Sustainable Design category, which has been broadened to include individual buildings. Both Councils appreciate the commitment of all the category sponsors, whose support makes the awards possible.
The categories and the sponsors are:
- Sustainable Design – Arrow International
- Best Use of Renewable Energy – Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority
- Heritage/Culture – Wakatu Incorporation or Heritage/Sites – NZ Historic Places Trust
- Environmental Leadership – The Cawthron Institute Trust Board
- Commercial – Radio Nelson
- Schools – Resene
- Rural – Landcare Research NZ
- Community Groups – Nelson Pine Industries
Rob Francis, Co-organiser, says “The awards are all about celebrating local successes and recognising the huge amount of work that is being done to care for our environment. Some our previous winners have gone on to even greater success like the Green Ribbon Awards.”
Karen Lee, Co-organiser, says “We encourage as many nominations as possible. It’s a great opportunity to tell your own story about what you, your group or organisation is doing for our community and to inspire others.”
Prizes are awarded by sponsors and range in value from $500 – $1000.
Nominations can be made in more than one section and are welcomed from new and previous entrants. Nomination forms, including the relevant criteria, are available on the Council websites or from the main Council offices, libraries or service centres.
More information:Tasman Nelson Environment Awards 2011
Rob Francis, Tasman District Council, 03 543 8400; Karen Lee, Nelson City Council, 03 546 0339